As you might know, meringues are one of my favourite cookies. But there is one kind of meringue I always wanted to make, I still can remember eating them as a kid when my mum bought them. They had the sweet combination of coffee flavour with chocolate and were so foamy! I never got enough of them and after a few successful meringue combinations, I finally got the courage to make them myself.
The most easy thing about meringue cookies is that you can make them as easy as you please. Add more and more ingredients to enhance the flavour, or keep it simple by only making them with sugar. These have the divine combination of chocolate, coffee ánd sea salt. Things I adore!
Chocolate coffee meringues with sea salt
- 3 egg whites
- 150 gr sugar
- 30 gr cacao
- 200 gr dark chocolate
- 30 gr espresso powder
- Pour the egg whites in a big bowl and start whisking them as if there is no tomorrow. Whisk whisk whisk
- As soon as you have stiff peaks, slowly add the sugar, cacao and espresso powder while continuing to whip it up.
- Put parchment paper on a baking sheet and two spoons. Form small heaps of chocolate egg white on the baking tin.Bake at 110 degrees celsius for 1 1/2 hours.
- When time is over, open the door of the oven and let them slowly cool. After a while you can take them out of the oven and let them cool on the counter top.
- Are they cooled off? Break the chocolate bar and melt it au bain-marie. Dip the bottom of the meringue cookies in the melted chocolate and sprinkle them with some sea salt.
- Put the cookies on a grate, top down and let the chocolate set.